Last night sometime around one in the morning we were woken up by some sort of commotion outside and the telephone ringing. As it turns out a pack of wild dogs killed a pig belonging to a man we live with. We were informed of this by a group of ladies cooking in the kitchen this morning. One of them told us to "go and have a look" as she gestured toward the backyard. We walked out back, cameras in hand, and there is was hanging upside down in the "outside kitchen" with severe wounds all over its neck and hind quarters. Tonight.... we were served pork curry. -Alec
Soooo.... As Alec mentioned, we were served pork curry for dinner, which we did not eat (can a pig killed by wild dogs pass on diseases to those eat it? I'd rather not find out in the middle of a remote island. Also, I don't eat meat). For this, I have to thank Maggi-Noodle, Fiji's own version of our Top Ramen. I have basically been living off this for every dinner here. For example, lunch of the farm today consisted of the same two items we have had EVERY DAY AT THE FARM. This is, ota (wild Fijian fern) cooked in coconut milk and roro (taro leaves) cooked in coconut milk and cassava. Just smelling it made me feel slightly nauseous. I stomached a little and then ate cookies and a cliff bar after work.
Thus, our lessons for the week in Fiji: DO NOT forget bug repellent and DO NOT complain about eating Maggi-Noodles.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment