Since I'm in a foreign place its only natural for me to want to explore, but the weather's been sub-par this past week for any type of tropical adventure. After about the fifth day of just hanging out I started to get antsy. I'd been hearing about this amazing snorkeling site from many people and websites called "split rock", so I decided to go check it out. From what I've heard its a giant rock that sits off the coast in about twenty feet of water with three feet of water over the top of it. Underneath is a tunnel you can swim through. In addition to this the entire thing is covered with corral and teaming with sea life. So Alex and I hail a cab and venture down the remote dirt road to where the takeoff point is. I spotted the buoy that sits above the rock and estimate it will be about a 350 foot swim through open water by myself. Reminder, sharks are very common in these waters... very common. So I got all geared up and stood on the edge of the rocks with Alex trying to spot a good place to jump in and take off, not able to see the bottom, not really able to see anything. As soon as I hit the water I realized the situation: I'm alone (you're never supposed to snorkel alone), there's no one even around on the land, the sky's so dark and heavy the sun is barely able to shine through and, due to the storm, the water is so cloudy nothing is visible, plus there had to be f*$#ing sharks somewhere out there. All I could see was blackness. It didn't take long for me to turn around and scramble up the rock. I guess I'll have to wait for a sunny day to attempt that sort of adventure again. And when I do I'll have photo evidence.
-Alec
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment